Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Castro accuses US of 9/11 conspiracy

AFP

5 hours ago

HAVANA (AFP) — An article attributed to Cuban leader Fidel Castro on Tuesday accused the US government of deceiving the world about the September 11 terror attacks in the United States.

The article, written on the sixth anniversary of the attacks, claimed that the Pentagon was hit not by an airplane but by a missile, and says that data on the World Trade Center destruction does not add up.

"We know that there was deliberate misinformation," said Castro, 81, in a lengthy article titled "The Empire and Lies." The Cuban leader routinely refers to the United States as "the empire."

"What is most dramatic is the affirmation that the truth about what happened may never be known," he said.

Castro has not been seen in public since undergoing intestinal surgery in July 2006. He has appeared in photographs and eight videos, the last of which aired on June 5.

This is the 44th opinion articles attributed to Castro that has appeared in the government-run newspapers.

The way the passenger jets crashed into the Twin Towers in New York on September 11 and the data from the plane's black boxes "do not correspond with the criteria of mathematicians, seismologists, and information and demolition specialists," Castro said.

Castro does not believe that an airplane crashed into the Pentagon, nor does he believe that any airplane passengers died. "Only a projectile could have created the geometrically round orifice created by the alleged airplane," he said.

"We were deceived as well as the rest of the planet's inhabitants," he said.

Castro said that Cuba offered to donate blood after the tragedy, and that Cuban security services had earlier warned US officials of planned strikes, including information on a planned attempt on then-president Ronald Reagan's life.

In turn, the US government has developed hundreds of plots to kill him, Castro said in the article.

After his intestinal operation Castro handed power over temporarily to his younger brother Raul, 76, the commander of Cuba's armed forces.

Cuban officials say that they treat news on Castro's health as a state secret.

No comments: