July 31, 2009 -- We, the undersigned social, political and solidarity organisations, faced with the ongoing coup d’état in Honduras and the imperialist project of installing military bases in Colombia whose objective is to throttle the hope for liberty and emancipation across the Latin American continent,
1. Our complete support for the immediate and unrestricted return of President Manuel Zelaya and the restitution of constitutional order, without conditions, to Honduras. Furthermore, we demand the punishment of those responsible for the coup d’état and the recognition of people’s sovereignty to freely decide their future, through referendum, consultation or any other means of participative democracy.
2. We denounce the cynicism shown by the US government and its satellites in the Organisation of America States, with an attitude which speaks of the recognition of the constitutionality of Zelaya’s Presidency at the same time as they reach agreements and hold conversations with the organisers of the coup, and carry out all types of delaying tactics with the objective of demobilising the impressive resistance movement which has been awakened in the interior of Honduras, coordinated in the National Resistance Front against the Coup.
3. We consider that all this is part of a planned offensive by North American imperialism and the transnationals, against the countries of the Alba (Bolivarian Alliance for the Americas) and all the progressive forces in Latin America in order to preserve their hegemony, their free trade agreements and their interests in privatisation and the exploitation of natural resources.
4. We reject the suspiciously coordinated campaign of false accusations and lies against the Ecuadorian and Venezuelan governments, originating in the USA — the world’s biggest drug consumer — and Colombia: the biggest producer, thanks to its government, headed by narcopresident Uribe. The leading figures in the international drugs trade have the nerve to talk of the failure of the anti drugs policy in Venezuela. All of this is aimed at justifying the US military presence in the zone, with “Plan Colombia”.
5. We alert public opinion about the seriousness of Colombia becoming the biggest aircraft carrier in history, with the installation of up to seven North American bases, an undisguised threat to the sovereignty of all Latin American countries. It represents a very grave step towards the internationalisation Colombia’s internal conflict and carries the risk of destabilising the whole region, with a provocation of unforeseeable consequences.
6. We denounce all the media multinationals, from CNN to the Spanish Prisa group, and the whole network of channels, newspapers and radio stations which belong to the local oligarchies, with their “cartel”, the Inter American Press Association, which combine disinformation with lies, in order to create a virtual reality in world public opinion, as a foundation for developing military offensives.
7. We express our commitment to organising all types of solidarity action, as of today and in the most coordinated way possible, to respond robustly to any type of aggression.
Against the oligarchies, the fascist coup in Honduras and the imperialist threat in all of Latin America
SIGN THE STATEMENT