1) John Kerry (D) $267.7 Millions
2) Herb Hohl (D) $171.4 Millions
3) John Rockefeller (D) $91.7 Millions
4) Dianne Feinstein (D) $79.5 Millions
5) Frank Lautenberg (D) $79.07 Millions
6) John McCain (R) $36.4 Millions
7) Hillary Clinton (D) $30.7 Millions
6) Lamar Alexander (D) $27.8 Millions
These are 2006 figures. I am sure that they increased their fortunes in the last four years. All of them voted today to give themselves more largesse from the public treasury by extending the tax cuts for the super rich, which they are.
Notice that all but one are Democrats. Next time that a registered Democrat comes and tells you that they are the party of the working class, laugh in his/her face.
Here is a 2008 list from the New York Times:
Click on the jpg to enlarge it.
In the U.S. Senate, 68 legislators were estimated to be worth at least $1 million, led by Herb Kohl, a Democrat from Wisconsin, who was worth an estimated $214,570,011 in 2008. The average net worth across the Senate was $13,989,022.98.
Government by the rich and for the benefit of the rich, which is a typical definition of oligarchy.