I want to publicly thank you and give you credit for trying to help in the restoration of normal diplomatic and economic relations between the United States and the Republic of Cuba, our neighbor to the south, a country where I was born.
I want to request from you to be more intellectually forceful with the United States Congress as it continues to enforce the unfortunate and evil language of the Helms-Burton Act, which was signed into law by one of your predecessors, Bill Clinton. I wish that Mr. Clinton had not gotten into bed with U.S. Senator Jesse Helms (R-NC), who was one of the most racist senators in the history of the U.S. Senate. Mr. Helms was also fanatically anti-communist.
You should remind the U.S. Congress that:
- 193 nations, including all of our NATO allies, have condemned the Cuba embargo at the General Assembly of the United Nations, where no nation has veto power. This repudiation of the Cuba embargo has been done for the last 25 years.
- Continue to use your very strong executive powers to circumvent the Cuba embargo.
- Upwards of two thirds of the American people have expressed their opinion that the Cuba embargo should be repealed. Even Cuban-Americans in reactionary Miami-Dade, Florida agree that it is time to repeal the Cuba embargo.
- You must have the courage to more positively pressure the U.S. Congress on this very important issue.
- We are no longer living in February 1996, when Cuba had to correctly shut down two small planes which were violating its airspace and national sovereignty. The planes flew from Florida.
Posted at http://Cubajournal.blogspot.com on 17 March 2016. Mailed to the President, via USPS, First Class.