Sunday, October 16, 2016

A Very Limited Step by Barack Obama

For me, this weekend was wonderful, because I was able to meet my nephew, who was born after I left Cuba in November of 1961. He visited Central Florida and we spent a lot of time talking about the family, among other things.

Family meetings are always great affairs, and this one was that and much more. I will never forget it.

On the area of Cuba-USA relations, Barack Obama issued a new Presidential  directive, which allows people who visit Cuba, to bring back with them Cuban rum and cigars, with no restrictions, when they return to the USA.

If the U.S. Government, especially the U.S. Congress, wants to really have normalized relations with Cuba, they are going to have to do a lot more than lifting the restrictions on the number of bottles of Havana Club rum and boxes of Cohiba tobacco cigars that I can bring back when I visit the island.

The U.S. blockade/embargo has to be lifted immediately and without any preconditions, since Cuba is the aggrieved and assaulted party.

If you are bilingual, and are fluent in Spanish, I recommend that you read:

Convivencia civilizada sin olvidar la historia

at Cuba's Juventud Rebelde newspaper.  I agree with the premises of the article 100%.

Cuba's sovereignty is not for sale.

See also: Obama, Cuba & Tampa

No comments: