Sunday, July 23, 2017

Remembering BAL

I don't know why, but I got up this mornig with the abreviation BAL stuck on my brain.

I did what I normaly do. I went to Wikepedia.

It was my favorite programming language back in 1969-70.

I liked it the best because it was very easy to learn, and the computer programmer was totally in control, as usual.

My #2 choice was RPG. It was an extremely limited Report Program Generator. But it produced any report very quickly. But it did not have arrays. Later on, arrays were included, and RPG II was born. Not unitl RPG III came out did it become a very powerful programming language.

My #3, and highly disliked by me, was COBOL. Common Business Oriented Language. It was very wordy and you had to write, write, write, write, write, write, write. till your hand had cramps.

Sorry, I am going back to sleep now.

No comments: